Saturday, June 2, 2018

Why I took the path of Python 10 years ago and continue to walk it

10 years ago I found myself looking for a programming language to learn., I had tried HTML back then and had learned some CSS and JS which I had put to practice, then I tried C, C++, VB6, Java, but all these languages turned out to be too complicated for me to learn easily and without any formal education on the subject I had an issue figuring out most of the things and what to do with all of it, in the end this did not take me anywhere and I dropped the case for a while until I decided to put my heart into one particular language and it all started with a google search:
really simple programming language for beginners
The above returned some obscure languages and web programming but one of the first ten options was Python, I had never heard of it but going through the whole thing made me see they were not joking when referring to a simple programming language, it was easy to learn but could be very powerful when there was purpose and intention behind it, I tried some tutorials but found that while I had learned the basics I still had no real purpose on using it as I was not working in anything related to IT.
One idea that eventually came to mind was to make a text game in Python, my endeavor did not go far but I did learn a lot which in turn would help me a couple of months later when I started working Desktop Support, inside a very large environment I could test some of my theories on how far I could push Python and I did get a lot of stuff done back then by double clicking one of my Python scripts (most of which I still have with me to this day but have little use in the company I currently work with).
It didn't take me long either to figure out Python was a really big thing, so big it was part of Debian (figured this out when I was trying something out and noted I could run Python scripts from the get go) and most if not all Linux distros, the ease of use and power it holds really turn many wheels, what also surprised me and made me understand that I was looking at the right language to learn and practice was finding out that Civilization III and IV have Python in them which moves many of the things in the background.
Recently I decided to retake Python in full strength by figuring out how to use PyGame and make a platformer game, looking around in YouTube I found a very comprehensive tutorial by Tech with Tim which has really put the library into such an easy perspective that I have already figured out how to hack through some of the code he provides and add some stuff. I also noticed that it was important that I already knew Python otherwise I would be a bit lost in the whole deal as he goes by fast to `economize time to provide the most related material on this subject.
Why do this though? A while back, talking to a friend, we decided to work something out in RPG Maker, but the engine is limited, most of those engines are from what we have seen, and we really wanted to do something great but neither of us was intent on learning Unity for this matter (probably too much to learn for such a simple thing, uneducated opinion though). I also remember trying RenPy a while back and may retake the idea of either mixing ideas from visual novels and a platformer/RPG or something else, who knows, this time it is taking more of a solid form than the last times I have tried to do something like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Installing OSSEC 3.7.0 on Debian 11 (Bullseye) How-To

Now that version 3.7.0 has been released I took another deep dive into how this is compiled from Source, as usual I brought this onto me bec...