Tuesday, June 5, 2018

Why I decided to relearn HTML after programming for so many years

Lately I joined the #100daysofCode to pump myself while reading stories from others who are learning new technologies, I jumped the gun and tried out static pages and PyGame but noticed a common mention of freeCodeCamp, being curious about it I jumped the gun and found it’s a website to learn how to code HTML but it does not stop there (more on that later once I go through the whole thing) so I decided to take it and see what it was all about.

To say that I have lived in the past these last years regarding how to code would not put the whole experience on the table, I am shocked to learn how many things HTML5 brought to Web Programming, so much that I noticed that some of the things I kept using from HTML4 are no longer in use while some others changed (for the better, because HTML4 could be weird at times).

This took me back when I started learning about how HTML worked (this was more than 10 years ago) when building a table and making it look right was so complicated in my mind it took me two days to actually figure out what every part of the table did, how to nest them properly and then I would still mess it up (I admit it, I was trying to make some funky stuff with the tables but it worked out in the end, trust me).

When I took some programming jobs early on during my learning days I was baffled by the amount of code that was used back in the day for the front-end, most of the websites I got to see had been built with some type of software which eased the soul of the designer but not the soul of the programmer, I am talking about software like Dreamweaver. Then there was Javascript (and in some weird instances I remember seeing .asp and .vbs somewhere in the code, yes, this was a time of trying to figure out how to make it work and leave it as it was).

At one point a company (not giving out the name) wanted me to make a website which automatically marked some of their items as sold when doing a live presentation for potential customers, this would in turn make people think about making a quick purchase and dumping tons (and I mean tons) of money into something that was worth 20% of the shown price, I am pretty sure some of this stuff continues to happen nowadays and this is why I keep a clean policy when building websites and working with computers belonging to my customers, their privacy is my number one concern but if I see that they are doing something that is completely immoral or against the law I will distance myself from them.

Back onto 2018, what has freeBootCamp taught me about HTML? A lot, it does bring me back to the days when I was learning for the first time but I also see that I now understand most of the logic behind of what I am doing (back then it was hard to grasp something so… esoteric), there is YouTube, GitHub and Stack Overflow in case I do not fully understand it (imagine, back then most of this did not exist, I think none of it did so it was either finding some reference lost in a forum or reading a book!).

To others trying to learn HTML, take this chance and go through the whole tutorial, HTML, CSS, JS, move further and continue pushing through, ask all the questions that come to mind, keep moving forward and when you look back do it with pride because the road ahead can be very long but also very satisfying.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Installing OSSEC 3.7.0 on Debian 11 (Bullseye) How-To

Now that version 3.7.0 has been released I took another deep dive into how this is compiled from Source, as usual I brought this onto me bec...