Sunday, May 27, 2018

Figuring out Node.JS with Debian, a never ending journey

Many years ago I decided to switch over to Linux as my personal OS, in particular because I did not feel like buying a computer every so often and also because I did not have the money to upgrade to a considerably new machine (nowadays I still don't have the spare money to do that but from time to time I find parts that I either use to upgrade what I have or store them to build something better).
I played around with many Linux Distros (ranging from Fedora and Ubuntu to Debian and Mandriva) but ended up landing on Debian 5, to my luck Debian 6 was released a few days after I switched over to Linux and I could finally get some of the issues out of the way for some basic stuff that I needed back then (namely Dropbox), from there on I have worked with Linux at home for what would now be 7 years but I had played with the idea of working around with Linux since 2004 during which I found it quite complicated (I believe it was Mandrake that I was trying back then and eventually Slackware but neither seemed compelling to me).
From time to time I keep finding the odd Linux error which has a solution somewhere on the internet, in other instances I am confused and must work on compiling something to make either an old package work or some obscure program run on my machine.
Another thing I have learned during my tenure with Linux has been web programming (PHP and MySQL) and some scripting with Python mostly but also some Bash, these have helped me a lot on previous jobs and I have come to notice that knowing these I could put them into more practical use than whatever my work is requiring of me, such as getting a small website up and running to have presence on the internet aside from the blogs and YouTube account I currently handle, by chance I found some Web Programming books on Humble Bundle and a book caught my attention immediately, Working with Static Sites by Raymond Camden and Brian Rinaldi. If memory does not fail me static sites are a thing of the past, but I was very intrigued on trying this out and I have not been disappointed so far as my curiosity with Node.JS, ReactJS and other modern languages continues to intrigue and elude me (as I do not currently hold a position which requires me coding all the time I am not up to date with much of the things web related).
I found a problem when starting some of the tests, I decided to install Node directly from a repository and when updating or installing new packages through npm it would not work, intrigued as to why I would need sudo all the time I started looking around and found that this was an issue in how npm was handling everything and that nvm was the solution for my problem.
After downloading the latest version of nvm and easily installing it I proceeded to update npm to the latest version (npm install -g npm <-- This intrigues me, the fact that there is no command to directly update npm amuses me), finally installed harp (which was throwing a fit about a bunch of stuff not working and node-sass not installing because using sudo would break it and not using sudo would tell me there was an error during the process).
After I had done this I noticed it would not work, intrigued I checked one of my virtual machines, repeated the latest steps and got it to work without an issue, went back to my machine and remembered that I had installed through a repository so I removed it manually from the sources.list file and removed the package, with this I could finally get harp to work and show me the initial website from the default template.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Installing OSSEC 3.7.0 on Debian 11 (Bullseye) How-To

Now that version 3.7.0 has been released I took another deep dive into how this is compiled from Source, as usual I brought this onto me bec...