Sunday, January 24, 2021

Installing OSSEC 3.6.0 on Debian 10 (Buster) How-To

Because this always catches me by surprise when I need to do it, and while I don't do it often it is always this that bothers me the most, so here is how to install OSSEC 3.6.0 as a local agent on a Debian 10 OS, has worked the same for x64 and ARM systems so far.

First get those packages in line, I usually run a minimalist version of Debian so these may not come with your current installation. 

apt install wget build-essential libpcre2-dev zlib1g-dev inotify-tools libevent-dev libssl-dev

With that out of the way pull the package for OSSEC 3.6.0:

wget https://github.com/ossec/ossec-hids/archive/3.6.0.tar.gz

Unpack the newly downloaded .tar.gz

tar -zxvf 3.6.0.tar.gz

Go into the folder, search for install.sh and run it then do local, again this should also work for other modes of OSSEC but I usually do local and pull logs through other methods.

Have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Installing OSSEC 3.7.0 on Debian 11 (Bullseye) How-To

Now that version 3.7.0 has been released I took another deep dive into how this is compiled from Source, as usual I brought this onto me bec...