Saturday, July 2, 2011

IBM: Why bother?

A lot of people, throughout time, have bad mouthed IBM hard. An example of this is the hatred against AS/400 (We're talking about the servers) and the programming language (Can't be considered one to be honest) RPG.

Then the prices are also something the normal user runs away from. The laptop I currently use was made somewhere around 2005 and from what I've read this was the top of the line for IBM and went for around 1500 up to 1800 depending on the configuration and the add-ons you decided to put into your purchase.

Is it worth it, should you bother?

Real simple answer: Yes.

Long answer: Even though IBM has stopped building laptops and desktops for the end-user, that is the business end-user or companies that had the budget for it, Lenovo continued this process and reasonably began to lower their prices and continued the "economical" line that tries not to sacrifice power but that is for the common user to decide in the end.

Back when I worked at a Factory we used only IBM for our end-users. During my time I had 5 laptops assigned to me and all but one were IBM products going from a T41, a T60, a G50 and finally a T500, not included a Gateway laptop that I hated because it was heavier than most laptops I ever used and that is including the G50 which is a monster. The reason why I mention these models is because they were, at some point, the main mobile army of IBM for the businessman which even though light were powerful enough.

Desktops and Laptop alike, IBM made some really tough material back in their prime days that can still be found in many recycling shops and computer stores and it's guaranteed that even though most of them had seen a lifetime of abuse that they'll continue to last for another couple of years before finally giving up and going into eternal slumber. If you ever have the chance to find a T40 or her lesser cousins or maybe a T60 and you are in need of something powerful then do not hesitate to give it a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Installing OSSEC 3.7.0 on Debian 11 (Bullseye) How-To

Now that version 3.7.0 has been released I took another deep dive into how this is compiled from Source, as usual I brought this onto me bec...